Wednesday, March 18, 2009

fragrance: My Gateway Back to Perfume

Since January I have been on a perfume kick. My mom has always said that I like potions, meaning perfumes, candles, lotions, etc. I have been a big fan of fig since 2005 when I tried Bath & Body Works' Simplicity Fig lotion. I could not stop smelling my skin when I tried it! As with all my favorites, they discontinued it. My sister, Jenni, knew my penchant for fig and pomegranate candles (though not mixed together!) and bought me some Bath & Body Works Brown Sugar & Fig lotion. While that was close, it was no match for the depth of my original love. Of course, they discontinued that as well, although you can now get it online from the Classics area on the B&B Works site.

I started searching around online for more fig fragrances to try and came across the wonderful blog "Now Smell This." It's a blog devoted entirely to fragrance: perfumes, candle, lotions, room sprays, etc. It has been several years since I wore perfume with any regularity, since I find most perfume counters to be intimidating. I am not a person who enjoys a lot of individual attention, and of course, I also didn't know what I was looking for. Now Smell This really helped me find fragrances with notes I wanted to try.

The best part? I found out that there are places where you can get samples and try the perfumes in the comfort of your own home! I often found that I liked a fragrance in the store, but after wearing it for awhile, it didn't jive with my body chemistry. I have learned so much through this site about fragrance notes, types of perfumes, sites for swaps and splits, and decanting (where you transfer the perfume into a smaller vial or bottle). It's becoming a really fun little hobby!